Alps is a value-add system, and the prior attainment – or baseline – is crucial to assessing the progress your students are making.
For schools who do not have Key Stage 2 scores to use as their prior attainment for Key Stage 4 analysis, we provide tables to convert CAT4 Mean SAS to an Alps band.
Future developments will allow the direct import and use of a CAT4 Mean SAS as the prior attainment score. For now however, the CAT4 score must be converted to a mid-point of a Key Stage 2 band using our Excel converter.
Step 1 - Convert your scores
To use CAT4 Mean SAS as your students’ prior attainment you will first need to convert to an
appropriate KS2 mid-point score to place each student in the right Alps band. We have a Score
as well as a video on Converting CAT4 to an Alps Band
to assist with this process.
Step 2 – Import your scores
If you have already imported your Year Group information, please follow the steps below to import:
1. Prepare a file containing your student IDs and converted scores using the Score Converter,
2. In Connect Data, go to the Students page for the Year Group in question.
3. Click on Import Additional Data, then Update and Merge.
4. Choose the Student Data import.
5. Import your data, mapping your proxy PA scores to KS2 Score on the column mapping step.
6. To produce MEGs, import your teaching sets and subjects and MEGs will be produced
If you have not yet imported your Year Group, you can include your converted scores in your initial
1. Prepare a file containing your student IDs, student information as required for the student
import (see our Knowledge Base article and import template for further guidance) and
converted scores using the Score Converter, linked above.
2. Click on + Add Year Group from the Cohorts page.
3. Follow the import wizard, mapping your proxy PA scores to KS2 Score on the column mapping
4. To produce MEGs, import your teaching sets and subjects and MEGs will be produced